Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Gotta get my butt in gear

It's getting to be that time. I have to start clearing space in the livingroom, family room, dining room and office for the annual Santa migration. Dozens of Santas are sleeping in storage tubs in my garage, nestled in tissue paper and plastic grocery bags, waiting for that magic moment when suddenly, IT'S CHRISTMAS!

I also have to find all the digital photos I took last year when I was putting them away for the season. I knew that I wanted to showcase the collection, so I took the time to photograph most of them. I must have downloaded them to my laptop, because they aren't here in this PC. There are two favorites that I'm anxious to show because I found them in two different flea markets in two different parts of the world and have never seen similar ones.

The first is about 6-7" high and is Santa sitting in his chair, relaxing with a cup of coffee (or tea) in his hand. If you lift him up, there's a place to put incense so that the smoke circles out of the coffee cup. It's especially wonderful with a coffee related scent like vanilla or hazelnut. If I don't find the pix, I'll take another one.

The second is similar in that they both probably came from the same manufacturer and time period although I'm ignorant of both. This one has Santa baking cookies or bisquits in an old fashioned pot-bellied stove. The stove door is open, there are bellows and Santa has a black smudge on his face if I'm remembering correctly. For this one, the incense goes under the stove. When it's lit, the smoke is coming out the stove and it creates a wonderful whimsical scene.

All this talk of Santa is motivating me to get started. I can at least grab the box of the Santas I gathered in February on our winter vacation. I know I don't have photos of them. My favorite there is Grateful Red. Soon, I promise.

No comments: